Eastern Regional Sales Manager
Founded in 2017, Simply Good Jars (SGJ) is an early-stage food-tech startup that preserves fresh food while improving the sustainability of our food system. We deliver delicious, healthy, ready-to-eat meals to customers on the East Coast at the intersection of convenience, quality, health, and sustainability. We are revolutionizing how fresh, nutritious, high-quality food is manufactured and delivered at scale. Simply Good Jars is headquartered in Philadelphia, PA and we are backed by some amazing investors in the fresh food space and beyond.
About the Role:
The Eastern Regional Sales Manager (“ERSM”) is responsible to manage the Company’s (“SGJ”) sales efforts in the Eastern US and to accomplish the sales objectives for that region, within the approved budget. You will be responsible for maintaining deep local knowledge of our distribution, developing collaborative and effective relationships with customers, brokers and distributors and identifying market specific growth opportunities and executing a sales strategy to capitalize on them. This role will directly impact the success of Simply Good Jars through driving sales growth, building market share and increasing brand awareness.
The ERSM’s primary outside relationships will be with brokers, retail distributors, retail corporate management, as well as retail regional and store level personnel. Internal communication will be with the Chief Growth Officer “CGO”, the Sales Coordinator, head of customer success and the marketing team. Cross Functional interaction with operations and CEO to ensure a collaborative and strategic approach to growing the business.
What you'll do:
- Foster relationships with existing customers to improve customer experience
- Manage all sales efforts for the Eastern Region which consists of: (ME,NH,VT,MA,NY,RI,CT,NJ,PA,NJ,DE,MD,DC,VA,WV,NC,SC,GA,FL).
- Further develop the existing infrastructure in those markets (i.e. strengthening brokers bringing additional distributors on line, etc.) and ensure that the Brokers’ and Distributors’ staff members are adequately trained on the Company’s products and programs.
- Develop a deep understanding of our product, mission and how we sell to effectively partner with broker and distributor teams and ensure they have the resources and support to rapidly increase our presence in the Foodservice channel
- Develop quarterly sales forecast and marketing objectives with the CGO for each market in the Eastern Region and report monthly on the progress.
- Examples of detailed responsibilities include:
- Preparing and delivering PowerPoint presentations and written summaries to retail buyers as well as SGJ management for category reviews and other meetings as appropriate.
- Securing monthly and quarterly velocity reports from distributors and retailers and working with internal personnel to integrate the data into company-wide reports and then analyze the result against specific goals.
- Maintaining close contact with retail chain management to ensure that the Company’s products are included in new store openings, remodels, etc.
- Coordinate with the Company’s marketing team to ensure promotions, demos, etc. are executed effectively within the region.
- Attend major tradeshows and manage leads generated
- Implement and effectively manage retail programs for retailers whose headquarters are based outside the Eastern Region with stores inside the Eastern Region (i.e. Kroger/Albertsons, etc.).
- Implement and effectively manage retail buyer relationships and program execution for retailers who have regional headquarters inside Eastern Region (i.e. Wegmans, etc.)
- Facilitate sales training and travel to each primary market metro quarterly and to secondary markets at least semi-annually to meet with the broker, retailer, and distributor management.
- Conduct store checks and “ride withs” with local market distributors and/or brokers as is necessary.
- Participate in periodic tradeshows on behalf of the Company as required.
- Update and maintain the Company’s ERP software (NetSuite) on a weekly basis, including notes of comments regarding all conversations with contacts, written correspondence and commitments made on behalf of the Company
- Maintain accurate hard copy files of all Company correspondence and provide the sales Coordinator with duplicate copies to be maintained at the Company’s main office.
- Travel to the Company’s main office up to once a month
The ERSM needs to be prepared to travel up to 50% of the time and needs to live no more than an hour from a major airport in the Western US.
This job description will be reviewed and revised by management from time to time, as needed, and does not exclude the employee from being required to perform additional tasks.
Who You Are
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in foodservice and direct retail food sales with premium/fresh/specialty food sales experience preferred
- Broker management experience a plus
- Build new and preexisting relationships with principal retailers, distributors,brokers and food service organizations in the Eastern Region
- Strong sense of job ownership coupled with a solid team orientation
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Demonstrate initiative and a sense of urgency
- Ability to accomplish objectives with minimal supervision
- Good trouble shooter with strong multitasking skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Experience integrated ERP software, preferably NetSuite a plus
Preferred to Have
- Excitement and passionate about our mission, products and sustainability
- Think big, work collaboratively and move quickly
- Entrepreneurial spirit, you're comfortable with the inherent ambiguity in building a new role and you are energized by the process of building something impactful and lasting from the ground up
- Business sense - has a strong business sense and can decipher priorities and make sound judgment calls when needed.
- Commitment to excellence - perform duties at the highest level possible on a consistent basis.
- Excellent communicator - able to interact with people of all levels in a confident, professional manner.
- Demonstrate ability and temperament to work with sensitive information.
- Team player - have team-oriented experience and approach.
- Ability to think outside of the box with a sense of urgency.
- Competitive pay and exceptional benefits
- 50% paid for medical, dental, and vision benefits ($100/mo for dependents) as well as life, disability and a whole lot more
- Equity in our company
- Flexible PTO
Additional Information | Requirements
- This is a full-time regular 100% remote position, based on the East Coast
- This role requires flexible and regular travel within your respective region
- 50% of time will be traveling in local regions.
- Have a car to use in the performance of your duties;
- Valid driver’s license and meet Company’s Vehicle Policy which includes a good driving history.